Wednesday, July 30, 2008

MPLS-Watertown-MPLS

The other night I left Shockspital a little early (aprox. 6:00pm) and left straight for an unknown destination, witch coincidentally is my favorite destination for an overnight. Perhaps a stealth campsite amongst highly paid suburbanites, or maybe a trip to a near by and much more "legit" campground. Extreme fun and wanderings ensued...

I pre-packed my gear the night before so I could leave straight from the day gig:

1 Hennessy Hammock
1 pad
1 summer rated sleeping bag
2 water bottles
1 light jacket
1 wool hat
tools, tube, and patch kit
and one of those twin cities bike maps, if you don't own one you owe it to yourself to get one.



View Larger Map

It's approx. 37 miles to where I camped. I left at about 6:00pm and stopped and ate in Watertown at a great pizza place, the name of witch I can't remember, but I marked it on the map. For the carnivores (myself included) keep your eyes peeled as you pass over Pioneer creek. If you look to your right just after the bridge there is a sheep farm offering lamb for sale. If you wanna take a dip, the locals tell me the east side of Oak lake is great swimming.


The photo to the right is not the swimming hole. That would be nasty and bilthy to have swamed inside of it/ that. anyways. Thats a bike down there, in da water der'. I stood upon the bridge staring about to take this photo and two youg lads rolled up on there BMX bikes, so naturally I queastioned them with much authority:
M= me
YL1= 13 year old skinny kid with a long face and chrome bmx. Very serious. Bad humor.
YL2= also 13, yet pudgy, zitted with glasses. Cool.

M: Whats up with that bike downnair?
YL1: Hu...Theres quite a few down there, it happens alot.
YL2: Yeh...hmm..hehe.

M:Kind of a tradition or somethin'?
YL1:Uh...yeh, you could say that. (both of them burst into loud beligerant laughter)

M:How many are down there? (expecting an answer of maybe 10, remembering when I did the same shit.)
YL1: Idonno. Maybe like 3.
YL2: YEH! all from...
YL1: Dood!
YL2: WHat?!
YL1:man...

M: All the same person or what, was it you guys?
YL1:No (they exchange glances, unspoken eye contact approval was in the air)
in unison "Derick Taylor! Oooooooooooh!" more beligerant laughter.

M: Sweet. So weres a good place to swim, you guys are crazy.
Then then told me the Oak lake location, I bade them a well worthy "take it easy" and we parted ways.


The sun was setting and I was full from the delicous food at the local Pizza joint. I grew lethargic as I passed through town and out to set up camp for the night. Twilight can be one of the most beautiful yet ominous times of day. Door to the nightlife, both for us and the natural world around us.
I lay in rest and pondered questions asked, tried to come up with answers, and grew tired once again.





music.









No comments: